cabingoddess

Kriss Morton - In the Loft of the Cabin Goddess

Latter-Day of the Dead (Book One)

Latter-Day of the Dead - Kevin Krohn Earlier this month I was approached by the author, Kevin Krohn and asked to review his book. At first I thought, "Dang it why this month! I have no time..." then I opened the e-mail and read this:

"...It is horror/thriller...and I saw you have a Zombie section! A brief description would be that it is a zombie-type outbreak on a polygamist compound in rural Utah..."

He had me at polygamist zombies.. the idea of a zombie outbreak on a polygamist compound! I was floored, it would mean families with children and I thought "Wow! OK I am making time for this book." Anyone who is serious about the sociological implications of unique cultural structures will appreciate the amount of research that was obviously done to present this book as factually as possible coming from someone who is not a Latter-Day Saint. In fact I had to ask him if he was because it was so full of facts and colloquialisms that I did not want to offend him by asking a few questions after I finished reading.

"If I had to describe staring down that hallway in two words I would probably use: extra and creepy"

This is a really powerful and terrifying zombie story. I do not recommend it to anyone that feels children are off-limits in horror. There are some very disturbing and dark moments. But people who are true zombie fans know the reality is this will effect everyone, not just the adults. The Walking Dead broke the through the wall and shocked the world when Rick had to kill Sophia who had become a walker. Children being involved as one of the horrors in different forms of visual media including video games, movies and literature have been a controversial hot-bed. It is a very difficult thing to write, to be powerful, make a statement and contribution to the story. It should not be a child, but a monster because that is what they have become. Mr. Khron did this, he was able to present a look into the window of what would happen in this situation.

Latter-Day of the Dead is the first in a two book series. It spends a great deal of time explaining the religious implications and background of the polygamist compound. This is where I had a little bit of a problem, it almost seemed to much of an explanation but as the story got moving I can honestly say I was glad I had it. The second book will not have to explain anything and will continue where this left off.

It is told in narrative through the voice of Brother Elias, the compounds doctor. He is the only one who has lived away from the group while getting his schooling to be the medic/doctor. His pros are written in a way that you feel like you are Elias, the protagonist. The character creation for everyone is so strong and enriched through his descriptors and the use of the rhythm that Kevin and I discussed above you really feel like you are there. You see the compound through his eyes, you feel the depth of his questioning and of his growing frustration with things about his life and the direction he expects it to be going. With the announcement from the Prophet, the compounds spiritual and group leader, his questions grow stronger and the pace of the tale picks up and grabs you on this wild, bloody and harrowing ride of the beginning of the end for these people.

This book is now in my pool with favorites when it comes to the "WHAT IF..." tales when the Zombie Apocalypse comes. (Oh don't laugh, you know it is coming one of these days! I saw you throwing a blanket over your survival gear!) I can tell you with certainty when I sit around and think "what if?"... those compounds in Utah will now be part of my pondering...

More on http://cabingoddess.com/2012/03/review-latter-day-of-the-dead/
plus a link to a giveaway for two signed copies too (March 10-17th 2012)(http://cabingoddess.com/2012/03/latter-day-of-the-dead-giveaway/ is the link to the giveaway)